cards

Copper?

Card next to piece of original cardstock

Hi crafters. I decided to try one of the techniques from the November CAS mix up challenge which has an oxidised metal theme. The technique involves putting reinkers on foil cardstock. (There are videos at the challenge). I didn’t have the type of foil cardstock that was used in the video but I remembered I saved a copper coloured piece of cardstock from a gift box last Christmas. (You know the foiled cardstock they put at the back of toiletries to make them look more fancy). I put green and red distress reinkers on a piece. They wanted to pool rather than spread. I heated to dry them off and the edges of the piece started to peel and there was some smoke and the cardstock changed to be more iridescent looking. I put the clear embossing powder on and melted it. It became quite granular at the edges and clear on the brown patches. I was getting brown on me so I did another coating of clear embossing. I wiped the surface off, but there were still brown marks appearing. I realised they were probably coming from the edges which had soaked up a lot of water and reinker under where the surface lifted. Because the edges were so textured, I didn’t want to cut it down so I just cut a Pinkfresh Studios Classic Words ‘celebrate’ from the centre. I popped the panel up on foam tape including a couple of the tiny inner bits.

You know how some cards make themselves, and others are a tale of woe? This card was more of the latter. After putting it together, I left it overnight and photographed it the next day. As soon as I finished photographing it I realised there were more brown blotches on the white card base. I also realised that it had no stamping ( a challenge requirement). I used ‘today’ from the SSS Uplifting Thoughts stamp set and stamped it in acorn archival ink. I continued to try to remove the blotches without success, so I decided to carefully peel the panel off and put it on another card base (number 3!!!). After peeling it off, I sprayed around the edges very liberally with matt fixative spray to try to stop the brown messes. I looked at the front and discovered the spray had dissolved the archival ink and ‘today’ was disappearing. I wiped it off before the spray dried and retreated to the coffee shop to fortify myself. Over the next few hours I sprayed, pressed onto scrap paper and progressed to the 4th card base which still has a brown smudge.

Lessons learned: Pumice stone is great for getting stubborn ink stains from fingers.

My husband thought it looked like real copper metal so I think the technique was a success in the end.

Prestamping, in stronger light, to show iridescent effects if you hold it at the right angle.

I am entering this card in the following challenges:

CAS mix up challenge for November: Oxidised Metal

My choice is die cutting

Simon says Stamp Monday challenge: Recycle ( for the foiled cardstock – which may have been a mistake 😫. I think I will just die cut the rest!)

Thanks for visiting,

Christine

6 Comments

  • Cath Wilson

    Haha, you made me smile 🙂
    Especially when you “retreated to the coffee shop to fortify yourself’, ROFL. I know that feeling well!
    It’s turned out beautifully and you’ll have learned lots of little things that you don’t even realise…it looks gorgeous. After all that work and stress, I think congratulations are in order 😉
    Cath x

  • Therese Calvird

    You will have to be careful with that heat gun of yours… not to start a fire lol. But Oh My WOW! The result is totally fabulous and to add only a simple negative space sentiment adds another modern touch to an already incredible design!

  • Bonnie

    This was a journey, but in the end you worked it out with a very interesting oxidized look! I’m glad you stuck with it! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

  • Loll

    So glad you kept going because the final results are amazing! Love the different colours you’ve achieved with the extra heating. It really does look like oxidized copper. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

  • Susan Joyce

    Michelle, big thanks for not giving up on the technique, I too had issues with ink transfer but in the end managed to get my Oxidized pieces finished. Great card! Thanks for joining us this month at CAS Mix Up!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *