Hi crafters. Are your alcohol ink pieces not turning out how you wanted? Read on. I wanted to do those beautiful alcohol ink panels others do, but they usually end up a mess. I remembered the post Mindy Eggen did on Jennifer Maguire’s channel, so yesterday I tried a mister with alcohol and a hairdryer. It still didn’t work like hers, so I rewatched the video. She used a bottle with a small outlet filled with alcohol. I had a couple of small bottles with glue in them so I emptied one. The bottle and mister are in the picture above. I misted the yupo, dropped on some alcohol and ink and moved it around with the hairdryer at close range with no attachments on the end of the hairdryer. The hairdryer I have repurposed for this doesn’t heat but it still worked fine. If you move the hairdryer around the edges to push the alcohol back, you do get the wispier edges. I used mainly alcohol marker reinkers. The colours of these seem a little more intense and different on yupo. There was one pink which was a bit jarring so I put crimson on top. Now it looks like a crime scene, but the colours work better. I also added a tiny bit of Piñata gold mixative. I decided to just put the Paper Smooches Hello diecut on top. At this point I noticed one spot had smudged. I decided to spray with Micador workable matt fixative. This has solvent in it and immediately a fine granular pattern appeared as it reactivated the alcohol ink. I don’t mind the extra texture, and it disguised the smudge! I just added a few gems.
I think it is something to keep trying. Having enough alcohol down at the edges so they don’t dry is key. As you can guess I didn’t just do one, but the next one is still drying.
I am entering this card in the following challenge
Simon says Stamp Monday challenge: Make your own background.