cards

Floral stitching

Hi crafters. When I saw the fantastic stitching challenge Altenew has, I knew I had to make something. The trouble was starting. Do you find it is harder to get the motivation to go from an idea to action at the moment? When I finally got started, I stamped an arrangement on a piece of scrap fabric using Altenew’s Grateful Heart stamp set. I used archival grey ink but there was some residual onyx black on some stamps. I used a red pigment ink to stamp 2 layers of the main flower. I stitched using 2 strands of floss.

There are about 7-8 red/pink shades and 4 olive/green shades. The stamens were stitched in 2 gold/ yellow shades and I got some dimension with knots and wrapping threads. The flower centres were stitched in a burgundy thread. When I was finished stitching, I toyed with stitching a sentiment but eventually decided to leave the flower as a statement on its own. To attach the fabric, I cut a piece of burgundy cardstock the size I wanted and put double sided tape on the back, but not close to the edge. I wrapped the fabric around it and adjusted till I was happy. I then stitched around the edge with maroon thread. I trimmed the fabric on the back and added some glue to the corners. I attached this to a piece of gold foiled paper with liquid glue. The gold layer was adhered to a burgundy layer to match the flower centres, with double sided tape. The stitching took 4 days, but I caught up on my podcasts! I’m pleased with how it turned out.

Postscript:

After submitting the card, I noticed some pink coming through onto the fabric. Liquid glue must have soaked all the way through the cardstock and started transferring dye from the burgundy cardstock. The material is thin, so I needed darker cardstock behind it so no threads would be seen behind the fabric. To fix the new problem I tried wiping the stain off, and made it worse. I pinched the fabric up, so I could clean a little off. I tried to dry the corner with my heat tool and the foil layer underneath shank. I cut more gold foil paper and put it back together. I blended Purple Wine and Cosmic Berry ink around the edges of the fabric. I later put the red pigment ink over these inks by rubbing the ink cube over the fabric. This darkened the colour and made it blend a little better with the reds in the stitching.

I am also entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon says Stamp Monday challenge: Beautiful botanicals.

Simon says Stamp Wednesday challenge: Anything Goes

Happy crafting,

Christine

4 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *